The lovely Amy over at Amazzable (who has recently become my new pen pal – so excited!) recently did one of those tag posts which asks a few questions on a particular topic. The topic happened to be all about self-love, something I should definitely be letting more of into my life!
I figured taking a good look at these questions and answering them fully would be a good exercise. I encourage you to definitely do the same!
1. What does self-love mean to you?
Looking at the benefits of being me and of the personality traits I possess. It also means looking after myself better and knowing when I should push myself, and when I should relax.
2. What is your favourite way to pamper yourself?
I have an amazing face mask from The Body Shop – their Honey and Oat mask. It’s so luxurious and makes my skin feel so nice. I’ll also treat myself to some chocolate and/or a cup of tea.
3. What are your three favourite hobbies/pastimes that make your soul feel on fire?
Live entertainment – Its been a little while since I’ve been to any kind of gig (in fact, i think it’s been about a year!), but stand up comedy or live music give me that amazing buzz.
Blogging – I like self-expression and chronicling my life and interests – I hope to look back at it all in years to come and have a little indulgence in the past!
Baking – The fruits of my labour (or cupcakes, rather) is always rewarding – I always much prefer my own cupcakes to those you buy in the shops!
4. What movie always puts you in a good mood when you’re not in the greatest mood?
Harry Potter movies are my go to when I’m feeling low. Although a good comedy starring Seth Rogen is always a winner too. He’s one of my ‘weird crushes’ for some reason.
5. Who do you trust so much that you would easily believe in anything and everything they said?
Liam and my Mum. Mostly because they don’t really have any reason to lie to me!
6. What quote totally motivates you?
I’m not really big on quotes, but I recently blogged a quote I liked about being brave. I am not a big risk taker as I can overthink things!
7. When was the last time you took yourself on a date? What did you do?
I went and did some retail therapy a few weeks ago…does that count?
8. What make-up or beauty products makes you feel like a million bucks?
I’m not big on make up…I do love The Body Shop’s skincare ranges, particularly their seaweed and Vitamin E products!
9. What is the last thing you did for someone else that made you feel amazing?
I like chatting through things with my Mum when she needs advice…it’s a bit of a role reversal but it reminds me that we aren’t just mother and daughter, we’re friends too.
10. Do you feel comfortable with and without make-up on?
I actually feel more confident without it on – I hardly ever wear make up as I don’t really know “how to”…plus, my skin is awful if I wear it. I don’t really think too much about how my face looks in public!
11. What piece of advice would you give a child about to grow up with the pressures of today’s media and its crushing expectations?
It’s impossible to warn the youth to ‘ignore’ these representations – they are everywhere. Just be selective about who your idols are, who you follow and believe in. A quote by Tina Fey rings very true in regards to female representation.
12. What song puts you in a good mood every time?
Since seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, I cannot get enough of Redbone’s ‘Come & Get Your Love’. It makes me endlessly happy.
13. What is the best advice someone gave you or you realized about life?
Don’t be so hard on yourself – ‘character flaws’ actually have benefits too. Anxious a lot? You’re also very conscientious and it’s better to care than to be careless.
14. Who makes you giggle like a giggle monster?
Liam. His singing, his inappropriate jokes… he is genuinely hilarious!
15. What is something about society that bugs you that you wish didn’t?
Entitlement. I wish people didn’t feel so entitled to things. We can all be guilty sometimes of feeling we deserve things a certain way, but those that seem to be obsessed with the idea of being owed things…grumble.
16. What is one of your favourite things to do on the weekends?
Very little? I love a nice chilled weekend, maybe with a little baking and blogging! Oh, and copious cups of tea.
17. What is something you’re really proud of that you’ve done?
Recently, I’ve taken a big step in my career and out of my comfort zone. I’ve worked really hard since leaving Uni and it’s really paying off now.
18. What is one of your favourite memories with one of your friends?
Too numerous to mention – I have gone through various friendship groups in my life, and naturally you grow apart. I have fond memories of being a teenager and having a big friendship group, but I also love the times I’ve had with the closer knit group of friends I have now.
19. What advice would you give someone who needs a boost in confidence?
Take some time to assess the benefits of being you, and being unique.
20. Lastly, how do you plan on investing in self-love?
Continuing to look after my best interests, and remembering how important it is to sometimes put yourself first.
I know it’s a total cop out, but I’d like to nominate anyone interested in doing this tag! Leave your links below if you’ve done it as I’d love to check out your answers.