Sometimes positivity is hard. I recently had a rough time dealing with things, and I had to take a bit of a break to get better. The upside is that there are in fact many, many reasons to be happy, and several of these are the reasons I feel much better now.
I thought this post would not only be a good reminder to count our blessings, but also something to come back to if I ever return to a darker place. So without further adieu (and waffle), here’s twenty-six things that make me darn happy. One for every year I have graced the Earth with my presence. You’re welcome, Earth.
1. My family. They aren’t perfect, but whose family is? We’re all a bit dysfunctional but what would I do without them?
2. Liam. The one person who can, without fail, make me laugh and bring me back from the darkest of places.
3. Blogging. Cheesy, I know. But blogging has been an amazing hobby for me over the years and has also given me a great confidence boost. Knowing people actually read my words is awesome and you all seriously rock.
4. Reading blogs. I often feel incredibly inspired by other blogs, and others can be great escapism or just a fab read!
5. Early nights. Anyone who knows me IRL will know I love a good sleep, so in addition to early nights I’m naturally also a fan of lie ins.
6. Chocolate. I would be in such good shape if it wasn’t for the pure joy chocolate brings me.
7. Reading comics. Comics are the perfect medium when you don’t want a lengthy novel, but just want a quick and entertaining read. ILY comics.
8. Cute dogs. I miss having dogs so bad, so I live vicariously through seeing other dogs in the street and looking at dogs for sale online. One day I’ll have my black schnoodle named Murdock.
9. Warm blankets. Curling up with a warm blanket is the ultimate in cosiness, dontcha think?
10. Watching a great movie. The kind you want to talk about again and again after you’ve seen it.
11. …Or a great TV show. The kind you force your friends and colleagues to watch so you can talk to them endlessly about it.
12. My Mac. I know it’s incredibly materialistic, but I love my little MacBook Air. She’s a beaut.
13. Walks along the seafront. It’s been a little while since I’ve taken a stroll along the seafront. I’m looking forward to warmer climates so I don’t get blown away!
14. Buying cute things. Things that really have no other purpose than to be adorable. You know the things I mean.
15. An empty inbox. I’m an organisation freak, so having my inbox cleared and sorted is like a drug.
16. A cup of tea. I really don’t think I function properly without at least one cup of tea a day.
17. Hot chocolate. When you want to wind down in the evening, or are taking a break from a wintery shopping trip. Nothing beats it.
18. Lazy days. When your only plan is to exist, in your pjs, all damn day.
19. Finding a great gift. I am a total sucker for Christmas because I love gift buying – especially when you find that perfect present that the recipient would never expect but will definitely love.
20. Receiving a great gift. It’s always those presents you least expect – when the buyer strays from the wishlist and gets you something that they know you’ll appreciate.
21. Photography. I am no expert, and I usually shy away from switching to manual settings, but there’s a great satisfaction from taking a decent photo!
22. Magazines. I love reading a decent magazine. Psychologies and Wired are two very different reads, but I love them both. Plus, magazines smell amazing.
23. Being good at stuff. I’m not blowing my own trumpet here, but knowing you are good at something is a great feeling. Being able to share that knowledge with others is an even better one.
24. Baking. It’s so therapeutic and you get to eat the results so double win.
25. Meeting with friends, and making new ones. This didn’t intentionally come so far down in the list and I’m a little bit embarrassed that it’s almost like an afterthought! What can I say? I’m not exactly a social butterfly, but I do enjoy meeting old and new friends when I can.
26. Theme Hospital. I’m totally addicted to it and it’s a great distraction when you need it!
If you’re feeling low, or would like to remind yourself of the good things in life, I challenge you to share one thing that makes you happy for each year you’ve been alive. Share your links in the comments!